Sell life, property, casualty, health, automotive, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as an independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
- Explain necessary bookkeeping requirements for customer to implement and provide group insurance program.
- Install bookkeeping systems and resolve system problems.
- Plan and oversee incorporation of insurance program into bookkeeping system of company.
- Attend meetings, seminars, and programs to learn about new products and services, learn new skills, and receive technical assistance in developing new accounts.
- Monitor insurance claims to ensure they are settled equitably for both the client and the insurer.
- Confer with clients to obtain and provide information when claims are made on a policy.
- Contact underwriter and submit forms to obtain binder coverage.
- Develop marketing strategies to compete with other individuals or companies who sell insurance.
- Select company that offers type of coverage requested by client to underwrite policy.
- Perform administrative tasks, such as maintaining records and handling policy renewals.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $82,570 with most people making between $29,770 and $178,700
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 20,020 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 21,300 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 128 openings due to growth and about 522 replacement openings for approximately 650 total annual openings.
- Administrative Services Managers
- Purchasing Managers
- Property, Real Estate, and Community Association Managers
- Regulatory Affairs Managers
- Customs Brokers
- Loan Officers
- First-Line Supervisors of Non-Retail Sales Workers
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products
- First-Line Supervisors of Office and Administrative Support Workers
- Brokerage Clerks