Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, appliances, or apparel to consumers.
- Rent merchandise to customers.
- Estimate cost of repair or alteration of merchandise.
- Bag or package purchases and wrap gifts.
- Estimate quantity and cost of merchandise required, such as paint or floor covering.
- Open and close cash registers, performing tasks such as counting money, separating charge slips, coupons, and vouchers, balancing cash drawers, and making deposits.
- Estimate and quote trade-in allowances.
- Sell or arrange for delivery, insurance, financing, or service contracts for merchandise.
- Help customers try on or fit merchandise.
- Clean shelves, counters, and tables.
- Exchange merchandise for customers and accept returns.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $26,660 with most people making between $16,850 and $42,000
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 195,950 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 202,340 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 639 openings due to growth and about 6,791 replacement openings for approximately 7,430 total annual openings.
- Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
- Medical Records and Health Information Technicians
- Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria
- Demonstrators and Product Promoters
- Gaming Cage Workers
- Customer Service Representatives
- Human Resources Assistants, Except Payroll and Timekeeping
- Receptionists and Information Clerks
- Office Clerks, General