Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. May use electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. May process credit or debit card transactions and validate checks.
- Pay company bills by cash, vouchers, or checks.
- Cash checks for customers.
- Keep periodic balance sheets of amounts and numbers of transactions.
- Issue trading stamps and redeem food stamps and coupons.
- Weigh items sold by weight to determine prices.
- Offer customers carry-out service at the completion of transactions.
- Post charges against guests' or patients' accounts.
- Compile and maintain non-monetary reports and records.
- Compute and record totals of transactions.
- Bag, box, wrap, or gift-wrap merchandise, and prepare packages for shipment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $20,050 with most people making between $16,310 and $25,900
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 147,700 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 146,970 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 6,280 replacement openings for approximately 6,280 total annual openings.