Attend to children at schools, businesses, private households, and childcare institutions. Perform a variety of tasks, such as dressing, feeding, bathing, and overseeing play.
- Place or hoist children into baths or pools.
- Accompany children to and from school, on outings, and to medical appointments.
- Sterilize bottles and prepare formulas.
- Help children with homework and school work.
- Perform general personnel functions, such as supervision, training, and scheduling.
- Operate in-house day-care centers within businesses.
- Care for children in institutional setting, such as group homes, nursery schools, private businesses, or schools for the handicapped.
- Provide care for mentally disturbed, delinquent, or handicapped children.
- Organize and participate in recreational activities and outings, such as games and field trips.
- Organize and store toys and materials to ensure order in activity areas.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $21,320 with most people making between $16,370 and $29,340
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 48,120 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 50,370 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 225 openings due to growth and about 1,425 replacement openings for approximately 1,650 total annual openings.