Assist patrons at hotel, apartment, or office building with personal services. May take messages, arrange or give advice on transportation, business services or entertainment, or monitor guest requests for housekeeping and maintenance.
- Provide food and beverage services to guests.
- Clean and tidy hotel lounge.
- Arrange for the replacement of items lost by travelers.
- Perform office duties on a temporary basis when needed.
- Arrange childcare services for guests.
- Plan special events, parties, or meetings, which may include booking musicians or celebrities.
- Provide business services for guests, such as sending or receiving faxes or shipping packages.
- Arrange for interpreters or translators when patrons require such services.
- Provide directions to guests.
- Pick up and deliver items or run errands for guests.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $30,170 with most people making between $21,890 and $39,610
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 720 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 810 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 9 openings due to growth and about 11 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
- Social and Human Service Assistants
- Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education
- Teacher Assistants
- First-Line Supervisors of Personal Service Workers
- Tour Guides and Escorts
- Childcare Workers
- Personal Care Aides
- Residential Advisors
- First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers
- Retail Salespersons