Provide skincare treatments to face and body to enhance an individual's appearance. Includes electrologists and laser hair removal specialists.
- Tint eyelashes and eyebrows.
- Sell makeup to clients.
- Collaborate with plastic surgeons and dermatologists to provide patients with preoperative and postoperative skin care.
- Advise clients about colors and types of makeup and instruct them in makeup application techniques.
- Apply chemical peels to reduce fine lines and age spots.
- Keep records of client needs and preferences and the services provided.
- Provide facial and body massages.
- Remove body and facial hair by applying wax.
- Refer clients to medical personnel for treatment of serious skin problems.
- Treat the facial skin to maintain and improve its appearance, using specialized techniques and products, such as peels and masks.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $35,390 with most people making between $18,120 and $61,230
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,600 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,780 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 18 openings due to growth and about 12 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
- Buyers and Purchasing Agents, Farm Products
- Floral Designers
- Opticians, Dispensing
- First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
- Travel Guides
- Recreation Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers
- Retail Salespersons
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products
- Real Estate Sales Agents