Clean and shape customers' fingernails and toenails. May polish or decorate nails.
- Salon Manager
- Nail Technician
- Nail Artist
- Fingernail Technician
- Fingernail Sculpturer
- Fingernail Sculptor
- Fingernail Former
- Decorate clients' nails by piercing or attaching ornaments or designs.
- Promote and sell nail care products.
- Whiten underside of nails with white paste or pencils.
- Polish nails, using powdered polish and buffer.
- Extend nails using powder, solvent, and paper forms attached to tips of customers' fingers to support and shape artificial nails.
- Treat nails to repair or improve strength and resilience by wrapping.
- Advise clients on nail care and use of products and colors.
- Roughen surfaces of fingernails, using abrasive wheel.
- Assess the condition of clients' hands, remove dead skin, and massage hands.
- Schedule client appointments and accept payments.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RES.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $22,200 with most people making between $16,740 and $30,750
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 4,750 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 5,280 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 53 openings due to growth and about 37 replacement openings for approximately 90 total annual openings.