Supervise and coordinate activities of workers in assigned gaming areas. Circulate among tables and observe operations. Ensure that stations and games are covered for each shift. May explain and interpret operating rules of house to patrons. May plan and organize activities and services for guests in hotels/casinos. May address service complaints.
- Provide fire protection or first-aid assistance when necessary.
- Establish policies on types of gambling offered, odds, or extension of credit.
- Review operational expenses, budget estimates, betting accounts, or collection reports for accuracy.
- Interview, hire, or train workers.
- Supervise the distribution of complimentary meals, hotel rooms, discounts, or other items given to players, based on length of play and amount bet.
- Direct workers compiling summary sheets for each race or event to record amounts wagered and amounts to be paid to winners.
- Determine how many gaming tables to open each day and schedule staff accordingly.
- Monitor and verify the counting, wrapping, weighing, and distribution of currency and coins.
- Record, issue receipts for, and pay off bets.
- Monitor patrons for signs of compulsive gambling, offering assistance if necessary.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: C.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $55,670 with most people making between $38,660 and $74,840
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 850 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 880 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 3 openings due to growth and about 27 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
- Administrative Services Managers
- Industrial Production Managers
- Food Service Managers
- Gaming Managers
- Lodging Managers
- Postmasters and Mail Superintendents
- Property, Real Estate, and Community Association Managers
- Real Estate Brokers
- Real Estate Sales Agents
- First-Line Supervisors of Office and Administrative Support Workers