Landscape or maintain grounds of property using hand or power tools or equipment. Workers typically perform a variety of tasks, which may include any combination of the following: sod laying, mowing, trimming, planting, watering, fertilizing, digging, raking, sprinkler installation, and installation of mortarless segmental concrete masonry wall units.
- Build forms and mix and pour cement to form garden borders.
- Mark design boundaries and paint natural or artificial turf fields with team logos or names before events.
- Haul or spread topsoil or spread straw over seeded soil to hold soil in place.
- Advise customers on plant selection or care.
- Care for natural turf fields, making sure the underlying soil has the required composition to allow proper drainage and to support the grasses used on the fields.
- Install rock gardens, ponds, decks, drainage systems, irrigation systems, retaining walls, fences, planters, or playground equipment.
- Care for artificial turf fields, periodically removing the turf and replacing cushioning pads or vacuuming and disinfecting the turf after use to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
- Maintain or repair tools, equipment, or structures, such as buildings, greenhouses, fences, or benches, using hand or power tools.
- Plan or cultivate lawns or gardens.
- Maintain irrigation systems, including winterizing the systems and starting them up in spring.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Working Conditions and Support in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $28,120 with most people making between $18,560 and $40,650
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 44,700 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 47,440 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 274 openings due to growth and about 806 replacement openings for approximately 1,080 total annual openings.
- Farmworkers, Farm, Ranch, and Aquacultural Animals
- Fence Erectors
- Tire Repairers and Changers
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Foundry Mold and Coremakers
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Shoe and Leather Workers and Repairers
- Grinding and Polishing Workers, Hand
- Painters, Transportation Equipment
- Helpers--Production Workers