Keep buildings in clean and orderly condition. Perform heavy cleaning duties, such as cleaning floors, shampooing rugs, washing walls and glass, and removing rubbish. Duties may include tending furnace and boiler, performing routine maintenance activities, notifying management of need for repairs, and cleaning snow or debris from sidewalk.
- Clean chimneys, flues, and connecting pipes, using power or hand tools.
- Drive vans, industrial trucks, or other vehicles required to travel to or to perform cleaning work.
- Spray insecticides or fumigants to prevent insect or rodent infestation.
- Clean and restore building interiors damaged by fire, smoke, or water, using commercial cleaning equipment.
- Make adjustments or minor repairs to heating, cooling, ventilating, plumbing, or electrical systems.
- Set up, arrange, or remove decorations, tables, chairs, ladders, or scaffolding to prepare facilities for events, such as banquets or meetings.
- Mow or trim lawns or shrubbery, using mowers or hand or power trimmers, and clear debris from grounds.
- Clean laboratory equipment, such as glassware or metal instruments, using solvents, brushes, rags, or power cleaning equipment.
- Monitor building security and safety by performing tasks such as locking doors after operating hours or checking electrical appliance use to ensure that hazards are not created.
- Remove snow from sidewalks, driveways, or parking areas, using snowplows, snow blowers, or snow shovels, or spread snow melting chemicals.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $26,780 with most people making between $17,320 and $39,640
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 94,780 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 99,830 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 505 openings due to growth and about 1,885 replacement openings for approximately 2,390 total annual openings.
- Dining Room and Cafeteria Attendants and Bartender Helpers
- Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Stock Clerks- Stockroom, Warehouse, or Storage Yard
- Slaughterers and Meat Packers
- Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Workers
- Shoe Machine Operators and Tenders
- Cleaners of Vehicles and Equipment
- Packers and Packagers, Hand
- Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors