Prepare and cook to order a variety of foods that require only a short preparation time. May take orders from customers and serve patrons at counters or tables.
- Order supplies and stock them on shelves.
- Accept payments, and make change or write charge slips as necessary.
- Perform general cleaning activities in kitchen and dining areas.
- Complete orders from steam tables, placing food on plates and serving customers at tables or counters.
- Plan work on orders so that items served together are finished at the same time.
- Perform food preparation tasks, such as making sandwiches, carving meats, making soups or salads, baking breads or desserts, and brewing coffee or tea.
- Restock kitchen supplies, rotate food, and stamp the time and date on food in coolers.
- Grill and garnish hamburgers or other meats, such as steaks and chops.
- Take orders from customers and cook foods requiring short preparation times, according to customer requirements.
- Clean food preparation equipment, work areas, and counters or tables.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Relationships and Support in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $23,380 with most people making between $16,810 and $32,280
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 7,480 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 7,180 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 200 replacement openings for approximately 200 total annual openings.
- Parking Enforcement Workers
- Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria
- Cooks, Restaurant
- Food Preparation Workers
- Stock Clerks- Stockroom, Warehouse, or Storage Yard
- Office Machine Operators, Except Computer
- Butchers and Meat Cutters
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators
- Etchers and Engravers