Patrol assigned area to enforce laws and ordinances, regulate traffic, control crowds, prevent crime, and arrest violators.
- Inspect public establishments to ensure compliance with rules and regulations.
- Process prisoners, and prepare and maintain records of prisoner bookings and prisoner status during booking and pre-trial process.
- Act as official escorts, such as when leading funeral processions or firefighters.
- Provide road information to assist motorists.
- Inform citizens of community services and recommend options to facilitate longer-term problem resolution.
- Issue citations or warnings to violators of motor vehicle ordinances.
- Direct traffic flow and reroute traffic in case of emergencies.
- Investigate traffic accidents and other accidents to determine causes and to determine if a crime has been committed.
- Patrol specific area on foot, horseback, or motorized conveyance, responding promptly to calls for assistance.
- Evaluate complaint and emergency-request information to determine response requirements.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Support in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $65,130 with most people making between $33,870 and $94,950
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 28,110 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 28,150 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 4 openings due to growth and about 926 replacement openings for approximately 930 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- First-Line Supervisors of Correctional Officers
- First-Line Supervisors of Police and Detectives
- Municipal Fire Fighting and Prevention Supervisors
- Municipal Firefighters
- Forest Firefighters
- Correctional Officers and Jailers
- Police Detectives
- Sheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs
- First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers
- Ship and Boat Captains