Patrol assigned area, such as public parking lot or city streets to issue tickets to overtime parking violators and illegally parked vehicles.
- Traffic Control Officer
- Ticket Writer
- Service Employee
- Ramp Service Employee
- Parking Technician
- Parking Regulation Enforcement Officer
- Parking Officer
- Parking Meter Attendant
- Parking Enforcer
- Parking Enforcement Technician
- Remove handbills within patrol areas.
- Assign and review the work of subordinates.
- Provide assistance to motorists needing help with problems, such as flat tires, keys locked in cars, or dead batteries.
- Wind parking meter clocks.
- Collect coins deposited in meters.
- Locate lost, stolen, and counterfeit parking permits, and take necessary enforcement action.
- Mark tires of parked vehicles with chalk and record time of marking, and return at regular intervals to ensure that parking time limits are not exceeded.
- Perform traffic control duties such as setting up barricades and temporary signs, placing bags on parking meters to limit their use, or directing traffic.
- Prepare and maintain required records, including logs of parking enforcement activities, and records of contested citations.
- Provide information to the public regarding parking regulations and facilities, and the location of streets, buildings and points of interest.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $30,530 with most people making between $21,290 and $43,830
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 450 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 340 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 10 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Baggage Porters and Bellhops
- Couriers and Messengers
- Postal Service Mail Carriers
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Team Assemblers
- Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Workers
- Bridge and Lock Tenders
- Automotive and Watercraft Service Attendants
- Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors