Patrol assigned area to prevent fish and game law violations. Investigate reports of damage to crops or property by wildlife. Compile biological data.
- Participate in firefighting efforts.
- Perform facilities maintenance work, such as constructing or repairing structures or controlling weeds or pests.
- Supervise the activities of seasonal workers.
- Document the extent of crop, property, or habitat damage and make financial loss estimates or compensation recommendations.
- Issue licenses, permits, or other documentation.
- Investigate crop, property, or habitat damage or destruction or instances of water pollution to determine causes and to advise property owners of preventive measures.
- Provide advice or information to park or reserve visitors.
- Design or implement control measures to prevent or counteract damage caused by wildlife or people.
- Collect and report information on populations or conditions of fish and wildlife in their habitats, availability of game food or cover, or suspected pollution.
- Survey areas and compile figures of bag counts of hunters to determine the effectiveness of control measures.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
Pennsylvania wage information is not available
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 420 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 430 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about 9 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Robotics Technicians
- Forest and Conservation Technicians
- Fire Inspectors
- Fire Investigators
- Police Identification and Records Officers
- Agricultural Inspectors
- Construction and Building Inspectors
- Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers, Except Line Installers
- Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanics and Installers
- Aviation Inspectors