Gather, analyze, or evaluate information from a variety of sources, such as law enforcement databases, surveillance, intelligence networks or geographic information systems. Use intelligence data to anticipate and prevent organized crime activities, such as terrorism.
- Supervisor Intelligence Analyst
- Supervising Law Enforcement Analyst
- Project Manager
- Program Research Specialist
- Investigative Research Specialist
- Intelligence Specialist
- Intelligence Research Specialist
- Intelligence Officer
- Intelligence Group Supervisor
- Intelligence Analyst
- Operate cameras, radios, or other surveillance equipment to intercept communications or document activities.
- Prepare plans to intercept foreign communications transmissions.
- Develop defense plans or tactics, using intelligence and other information.
- Study communication code languages or foreign languages to translate intelligence.
- Interview, interrogate, or interact with witnesses or crime suspects to collect human intelligence.
- Gather and evaluate information, using tools such as aerial photographs, radar equipment, or sensitive radio equipment.
- Establish criminal profiles to aid in connecting criminal organizations with their members.
- Predict future gang, organized crime, or terrorist activity, using analyses of intelligence data.
- Design, use, or maintain databases and software applications, such as geographic information systems (GIS) mapping and artificial intelligence tools.
- Study the assets of criminal suspects to determine the flow of money from or to targeted groups.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Recognition in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $82,660 with most people making between $50,430 and $130,200
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 3,490 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 3,450 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 90 replacement openings for approximately 90 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation