Conduct investigations to prevent crimes or solve criminal cases.
- Victim Witness Administrator
- Vice Investigator
- Station Detective
- Sheriff's Detective
- Sex Crimes Detective
- Police Investigator
- Police Detective
- Narcotics Investigator
- Narcotics Detective
- Observe and photograph narcotic purchase transactions to compile evidence and protect undercover investigators.
- Schedule polygraph tests for consenting parties and record results of test interpretations for presentation with findings.
- Coordinate with outside agencies and serve on interagency task forces to combat specific types of crime.
- Monitor conditions of victims who are unconscious so that arrangements can be made to take statements if consciousness is regained.
- Maintain surveillance of establishments to obtain identifying information on suspects.
- Note relevant details upon arrival at scene, such as time of day and weather conditions.
- Notify, or request notification of, medical examiner or district attorney representative.
- Block or rope off scene and check perimeter to ensure that entire scene is secured.
- Notify command of situation and request assistance.
- Summon medical help for injured individuals and alert medical personnel to take statements from them.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $82,660 with most people making between $50,430 and $130,200
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 3,490 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 3,450 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 90 replacement openings for approximately 90 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Emergency Management Directors
- Soil and Water Conservationists
- First-Line Supervisors of Police and Detectives
- Fire Inspectors
- Fire Investigators
- Criminal Investigators and Special Agents
- Police Patrol Officers
- Sheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs
- First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers