Guard inmates in penal or rehabilitative institutions in accordance with established regulations and procedures. May guard prisoners in transit between jail, courtroom, prison, or other point. Includes deputy sheriffs and police who spend the majority of their time guarding prisoners in correctional institutions.
- Sponsor inmate recreational activities, such as newspapers and self-help groups.
- Supervise and coordinate work of other correctional service officers.
- Arrange daily schedules for prisoners including library visits, work assignments, family visits, and counseling appointments.
- Investigate crimes that have occurred within an institution, or assist police in their investigations of crimes and inmates.
- Drive passenger vehicles and trucks used to transport inmates to other institutions, courtrooms, hospitals, and work sites.
- Inspect mail for the presence of contraband.
- Search for and recapture escapees.
- Process or book convicted individuals into prison.
- Assign duties to inmates, providing instructions as needed.
- Issue clothing, tools, and other authorized items to inmates.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $50,380 with most people making between $34,680 and $68,860
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 16,630 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 16,760 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 13 openings due to growth and about 457 replacement openings for approximately 470 total annual openings.
- Radiologic Technicians
- First-Line Supervisors of Correctional Officers
- Police Patrol Officers
- Transit and Railroad Police
- Animal Control Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers
- Rotary Drill Operators, Oil and Gas
- Automotive Glass Installers and Repairers
- Aircraft Cargo Handling Supervisors
- Ship Engineers