Enforce fire regulations, inspect forest for fire hazards and recommend forest fire prevention or control measures. May report forest fires and weather conditions.
- Wildland Fire Operations Specialist
- Wildfire Prevention Specialist
- Tower Watchman
- Resource Protection Specialist
- Range Examiner
- Inspect forest tracts and logging areas for fire hazards such as accumulated wastes or mishandling of combustibles, and recommend appropriate fire prevention measures.
- Inspect camp sites to ensure that campers are in compliance with forest use regulations.
- Compile and report meteorological data, such as temperature, relative humidity, wind direction and velocity, and types of cloud formations.
- Patrol assigned areas, looking for forest fires, hazardous conditions, and weather phenomena.
- Restrict public access and recreational use of forest lands during critical fire seasons.
- Direct maintenance and repair of firefighting equipment, or requisition new equipment.
- Examine and inventory firefighting equipment, such as axes, fire hoses, shovels, pumps, buckets, and fire extinguishers, to determine amount and condition.
- Maintain records and logbooks.
- Locate forest fires on area maps, using azimuth sighters and known landmarks.
- Extinguish smaller fires with portable extinguishers, shovels, and axes.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Geography - Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
Pennsylvania wage information is not available
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Range Managers
- Fire Inspectors
- Transit and Railroad Police
- Security Guards
- First-Line Supervisors of Agricultural Crop and Horticultural Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
- Agricultural Inspectors
- First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers
- Mates- Ship, Boat, and Barge