Inspect buildings and equipment to detect fire hazards and enforce state and local regulations.
- Collect fees for permits and licenses.
- Serve court appearance summonses or condemnation notices on parties responsible for violations of fire codes, laws, and ordinances.
- Develop and coordinate fire prevention programs, such as false alarm billing, fire inspection reporting, and hazardous materials management.
- Supervise staff, training them, planning their work, and evaluating their performance.
- Issue permits for public assemblies.
- Arrange for the replacement of defective fire fighting equipment and for repair of fire alarm and sprinkler systems, making minor repairs such as servicing fire extinguishers when feasible.
- Investigate causes of fires, collecting and preparing evidence and presenting it in court when necessary.
- Search for clues as to the cause of a fire, once the fire is completely extinguished.
- Recommend changes to fire prevention, inspection, and fire code endorsement procedures.
- Teach public education programs on fire safety and prevention.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $50,370 with most people making between $32,200 and $78,190
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 250 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 260 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about 9 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Soil and Water Conservationists
- Geological Sample Test Technicians
- Forest and Conservation Technicians
- Occupational Health and Safety Technicians
- Fire Investigators
- Police Identification and Records Officers
- First-Line Supervisors of Aquacultural Workers
- Agricultural Inspectors
- First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers
- Aviation Inspectors