Control and extinguish municipal fires, protect life and property and conduct rescue efforts.
- Volunteer Firefighter
- Volunteer Fire Fighter
- Tiller Worker
- Tiller Man
- Tail Board Worker
- Tail Board Man
- Safety Officer
- Rescue Worker
- Oil Fire Specialist
- Spray foam onto runways, extinguish fires, and rescue aircraft crew and passengers in air-crash emergencies.
- Participate in courses, seminars and conferences, and study fire science literature, to learn firefighting techniques.
- Establish firelines to prevent unauthorized persons from entering areas near fires.
- Inspect buildings for fire hazards and compliance with fire prevention ordinances, testing and checking smoke alarms and fire suppression equipment as necessary.
- Clean and maintain fire stations and fire fighting equipment and apparatus.
- Salvage property by removing broken glass, pumping out water, and ventilating buildings to remove smoke.
- Inform and educate the public on fire prevention.
- Protect property from water and smoke, using waterproof salvage covers, smoke ejectors, and deodorants.
- Participate in physical training activities to maintain a high level of physical fitness.
- Prepare written reports that detail specifics of fire incidents.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RSE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Social and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Achievement in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $54,730 with most people making between $29,030 and $79,970
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 4,980 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 4,970 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 150 replacement openings for approximately 150 total annual openings.
- Radiation Therapists
- Radiologic Technologists
- Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics
- Radiologic Technicians
- Municipal Fire Fighting and Prevention Supervisors
- Forest Firefighters
- Correctional Officers and Jailers
- Police Patrol Officers
- Manufactured Building and Mobile Home Installers
- Pilots, Ship