Maintain and use equipment and supplies necessary to demonstrate portions of the human body on x-ray film or fluoroscopic screen for diagnostic purposes.
- Provide assistance in radiopharmaceutical administration, monitoring patients' vital signs and notifying the radiologist of any relevant changes.
- Prepare contrast material, radiopharmaceuticals, or anesthetic or antispasmodic drugs under the direction of a radiologist.
- Assist with on-the-job training of new employees or students or provide input to supervisors regarding training performance.
- Perform general administrative tasks, such as answering phones, scheduling patient appointments, or pulling and filing films.
- Provide students or other technicians with suggestions of additional views, alternate positioning, or improved techniques to ensure the images produced are of the highest quality.
- Maintain a current file of examination protocols.
- Complete quality control activities, monitor equipment operation, and report malfunctioning equipment to supervisor.
- Assure that sterile or non-sterile supplies such as contrast materials, catheters, films, chemicals, or other required equipment, are present and in working order or requisition materials.
- Collect and maintain records of patients examined, examinations performed, patient medical histories, views taken, or technical factors used.
- Coordinate work of other technicians or technologists when procedures require more than one person.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $46,230 with most people making between $27,860 and $66,020
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,360 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 2,800 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 44 openings due to growth and about 26 replacement openings for approximately 70 total annual openings.