Provide respiratory care under the direction of respiratory therapists and physicians.
- Respiratory Therapy Technician (RTT)
- Respiratory Therapy Assistant
- Respiratory Therapist Assistant
- Respiratory Technician
- Respiratory Support Technician
- Respiratory Supervisor
- Respiratory Director
- Respiratory Care Technician
- Respiratory Care Assistant (RCA)
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (Staff)
- Teach or oversee other workers who provide respiratory care services.
- Recommend or review bedside procedures, x-rays, or laboratory tests.
- Teach patients how to use respiratory equipment at home.
- Clean, sterilize, check, and maintain respiratory therapy equipment.
- Perform diagnostic procedures to assess the severity of respiratory dysfunction in patients.
- Provide respiratory care involving the application of well-defined therapeutic techniques under the supervision of a respiratory therapist and a physician.
- Interview or examine patients to collect clinical data.
- Explain treatment procedures to patients.
- Administer breathing or oxygen procedures, such as intermittent positive pressure breathing treatments, ultrasonic nebulizer treatments, or incentive spirometer treatments.
- Prepare or test devices, such as mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control systems, aerosol generators, or electrocardiogram (EKG) machines.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SRI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Realistic and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $50,700 with most people making between $31,590 and $74,270
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 490 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 490 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 10 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.