Conduct tests on pulmonary or cardiovascular systems of patients for diagnostic purposes. May conduct or assist in electrocardiograms, cardiac catheterizations, pulmonary functions, lung capacity, and similar tests. Includes vascular technologists.
- Vascular Technologist
- Vascular Technician
- Telemetry Technician
- Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist (RCIS)
- Pulmonary Function Technologist
- Pulmonary Function Technician
- Nuclear Medicine Technologist
- Monitor Technician
- Laboratory Technologist (Lab Technologist)
- Perform general administrative tasks, such as scheduling appointments or ordering supplies or equipment.
- Set up 24-hour Holter and event monitors, scan and interpret tapes, and report results to physicians.
- Activate fluoroscope and camera to produce images used to guide catheter through cardiovascular system.
- Conduct tests of pulmonary system, using spirometer or other respiratory testing equipment.
- Enter factors such as amount and quality of radiation beam, and filming sequence, into computer.
- Transcribe, type, and distribute reports of diagnostic procedures for interpretation by physician.
- Inject contrast medium into patients' blood vessels.
- Observe gauges, recorder, and video screens of data analysis system during imaging of cardiovascular system.
- Operate diagnostic imaging equipment to produce contrast enhanced radiographs of heart and cardiovascular system.
- Assess cardiac physiology and calculate valve areas from blood flow velocity measurements.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IEA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $53,070 with most people making between $30,280 and $80,570
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,950 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 3,540 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 59 openings due to growth and about 61 replacement openings for approximately 120 total annual openings.