Analyze chromosomes found in biological specimens such as amniotic fluids, bone marrow, and blood to aid in the study, diagnosis, or treatment of genetic diseases.
- Technical Specialist, Cytogenetics
- Senior Cytogenetics Laboratory Director
- Senior Cytogenetic Technologist
- Research Laboratory Specialist (Research Lab Specialist)
- Medical Laboratory Specialist (Medical Lab Specialist)
- Lead Technologist in Cytogenetics
- Lead Cytogenetic Technologist
- Laboratory Technologist (Lab Technologist)
- Laboratory Specialist (Lab Specialist)
- Head of Cytogenetics
- Develop and implement training programs for trainees, medical students, resident physicians or post-doctoral fellows.
- Maintain laboratory equipment such as photomicroscopes, inverted microscopes, and standard darkroom equipment.
- Supervise subordinate laboratory staff.
- Archive case documentation and study materials as required by regulations and laws.
- Identify appropriate methods of specimen collection, preservation, or transport.
- Communicate to responsible parties unacceptable specimens and suggest remediation for future submissions.
- Evaluate appropriateness of received specimens for requested tests.
- Determine optimal time sequences and methods for manual or robotic cell harvests.
- Develop, implement, and monitor quality control and quality assurance programs to ensure accurate and precise test performance and reports.
- Select appropriate methods of preparation and storage of media to maintain potential of hydrogen (pH), sterility, or ability to support growth.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Recognition in their jobs.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $58,360 with most people making between $39,680 and $79,080
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 8,620 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 9,570 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 95 openings due to growth and about 205 replacement openings for approximately 300 total annual openings.