Diagnose, treat, and help prevent diseases using a system of practice that is based on the natural healing capacity of individuals. May use physiological, psychological or mechanical methods. May also use natural medicines, prescription or legend drugs, foods, herbs, or other natural remedies.
- Naturopathic Physician
- Naturopathic Oncology Provider
- Naturopathic Doctor
- Medical Director
- Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine
- Doctor (Dr)
- Clinical Director
- Chief Medical Officer, Naturopathic Endocrinologist and Oncologist
- Chief Medical Officer
- Treat minor cuts, abrasions, or contusions.
- Report patterns of patients' health conditions, such as disease status and births, to public health agencies.
- Perform minor surgical procedures, such as removing warts, moles, or cysts, sampling tissues for skin cancer or lipomas, and applying or removing sutures.
- Monitor updates from public health agencies to keep abreast of health trends.
- Conduct periodic public health maintenance activities such as immunizations and screenings for diseases and disease risk factors.
- Perform venipuncture or skin pricking to collect blood samples.
- Perform mobilizations and high-velocity adjustments to joints or soft tissues, using principles of massage, stretching, or resistance.
- Obtain medical records from previous physicians or other health care providers for the purpose of patient evaluation.
- Order diagnostic imaging procedures such as radiographs (x-rays), ultrasounds, mammograms, and bone densitometry tests, or refer patients to other health professionals for these procedures.
- Prescribe synthetic drugs under the supervision of medical doctors or within the allowances of regulatory bodies.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $78,950 with most people making between $51,710 and $111,310
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 870 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 900 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 3 openings due to growth and about 17 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.