Plan, direct, or coordinate the daily patient care activities in a clinical practice. Ensure adherence to established clinical policies, protocols, regulations, and standards.
- Quality Management Nurse
- Public Health Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Pediatric Oncology Nurse
- Pediatric Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Nurse Clinician
- Nephrology Nurse
- Intensive Care Unit Nurse
- Intensive Care Unit Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Gerontological Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Emergency Department Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Provide direct care by performing comprehensive health assessments, developing differential diagnoses, conducting specialized tests, or prescribing medications or treatments.
- Prepare reports to document patients' care activities.
- Teach patient education programs that include information required to make informed health care and treatment decisions.
- Coordinate or conduct educational programs or in-service training sessions on topics such as clinical procedures.
- Develop nursing service philosophies, goals, policies, priorities, or procedures.
- Chair nursing departments or committees.
- Write nursing orders.
- Observe, interview, and assess patients to identify care needs.
- Lead nursing department implementation of, or compliance with, regulatory or accreditation processes.
- Participate in clinical research projects, such as by reviewing protocols, reviewing patient records, monitoring compliance, and meeting with regulatory authorities.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ESC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Social and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Achievement and Relationships in their jobs.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $69,820 with most people making between $49,930 and $96,690
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 130,070 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 148,240 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 1,817 openings due to growth and about 3,073 replacement openings for approximately 4,890 total annual openings.