Provide inpatient care predominantly in settings such as medical wards, acute care units, intensive care units, rehabilitation centers, or emergency rooms. Manage and coordinate patient care throughout treatment.
- Pediatric Hospitalist
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Hospitalist
- Medical Director
- Internal Medicine Hospitalist
- Inpatient Services Director
- Hospitalist Program Director
- Hospitalist Medical Director
- Hospital Medicine Director
- Chief of Internal Medicine
- Train or supervise medical students, residents, or other health professionals.
- Direct, coordinate, or supervise the patient care activities of nursing or support staff.
- Direct the operations of short stay or specialty units.
- Participate in continuing education activities to maintain or enhance knowledge and skills.
- Communicate with patients' primary care physicians upon admission, when treatment plans change, or at discharge to maintain continuity and quality of care.
- Attend inpatient consultations in areas of specialty.
- Write patient discharge summaries and send them to primary care physicians.
- Refer patients to medical specialists, social services or other professionals as appropriate.
- Conduct discharge planning and discharge patients.
- Order or interpret the results of tests such as laboratory tests and radiographs (x-rays).
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Recognition and Support in their jobs.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $197,250
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 16,390 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 18,060 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 167 openings due to growth and about 443 replacement openings for approximately 610 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation