Diagnose, treat, and help prevent allergic diseases and disease processes affecting the immune system.
- Transplant Immunologist
- Physician, Owner of Independent Medical Practice
- Physician, Allergist-Immunologist
- Physician Specializing in Allergy-Immunology Senior Partner in Group Practice
- Pediatric Immunologist
- Pediatric Allergist
- Medical Doctor MD
- MD Pediatric Allergist
- Present research findings at national meetings or in peer-reviewed journals.
- Conduct laboratory or clinical research on allergy or immunology topics.
- Provide allergy or immunology consultation or education to physicians or other health care providers.
- Perform allergen provocation tests such as nasal, conjunctival, bronchial, oral, food, or medication challenges.
- Engage in self-directed learning and continuing education activities.
- Coordinate the care of patients with other health care professionals or support staff.
- Provide therapies, such as allergen immunotherapy or immunoglobin therapy, to treat immune conditions.
- Interpret diagnostic test results to make appropriate differential diagnoses.
- Assess the risks and benefits of therapies for allergic and immunologic disorders.
- Conduct physical examinations of patients.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IAE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Recognition, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $197,250
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 16,390 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 18,060 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 167 openings due to growth and about 443 replacement openings for approximately 610 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation