Examine, diagnose, and treat dental malocclusions and oral cavity anomalies. Design and fabricate appliances to realign teeth and jaws to produce and maintain normal function and to improve appearance.
- Specialist in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Pediatric Orthodontist
- Orthodontist, Vice President
- Orthodontist, Small Business Owner
- Invisible Braces Orthodontist
- Dentofacial Orthopedics Dentist
- Board Certified Orthodontist
- Coordinate orthodontic services with other dental and medical services.
- Design and fabricate appliances, such as space maintainers, retainers, and labial and lingual arch wires.
- Prepare diagnostic and treatment records.
- Instruct dental officers and technical assistants in orthodontic procedures and techniques.
- Provide patients with proposed treatment plans and cost estimates.
- Examine patients to assess abnormalities of jaw development, tooth position, and other dental-facial structures.
- Diagnose teeth and jaw or other dental-facial abnormalities.
- Fit dental appliances in patients' mouths to alter the position and relationship of teeth and jaws or to realign teeth.
- Adjust dental appliances to produce and maintain normal function.
- Study diagnostic records, such as medical or dental histories, plaster models of the teeth, photos of a patient's face and teeth, and X-rays, to develop patient treatment plans.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IRS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Realistic and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $248,080
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 120 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 130 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about -1 replacement openings for approximately 0 total annual openings.