Edit moving images on film, video, or other media. May edit or synchronize soundtracks with images.
- Discuss the sound requirements of pictures with sound effects editors.
- Estimate how long audiences watching comedies will laugh at each gag line or situation to space scenes appropriately.
- Develop post-production models for films.
- Study scripts to become familiar with production concepts and requirements.
- Collaborate with music editors to select appropriate passages of music and develop production scores.
- Conduct film screenings for directors and members of production staffs.
- Program computerized graphic effects.
- Manipulate plot, score, sound, and graphics to make the parts into a continuous whole, working closely with people in audio, visual, music, optical, or special effects departments.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of workers engaged in film editing, assembling, and recording activities.
- Piece sounds together to develop film soundtracks.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AIE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $54,400 with most people making between $26,690 and $92,340
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 420 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 500 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 8 openings due to growth and about 2 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.