Set up, operate, and maintain the electronic equipment used to transmit radio and television programs. Control audio equipment to regulate volume level and quality of sound during radio and television broadcasts. Operate transmitter to broadcast radio or television programs.
- Produce educational and training films and videotapes by performing activities, such as selecting equipment and preparing scripts.
- Discuss production requirements with clients.
- Set up and operate portable field transmission equipment outside the studio.
- Organize recording sessions and prepare areas, such as radio booths and television stations, for recording.
- Produce graphics for broadcasts.
- Determine the number, type, and approximate location of microphones needed for best sound recording or transmission quality and position them appropriately.
- Design and modify equipment to employer specifications.
- Develop employee work schedules.
- Make commercial dubs.
- Give technical directions to other personnel during filming.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $41,480 with most people making between $17,590 and $79,760
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 700 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 660 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 10 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Manufacturing Production Technicians
- Geophysical Data Technicians
- Histotechnologists and Histologic Technicians
- Agricultural Inspectors
- Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers
- Radio Mechanics
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment
- Automotive Specialty Technicians
- Camera and Photographic Equipment Repairers
- Drilling and Boring Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic