Write advertising copy for use by publication or broadcast media to promote sale of goods and services.
- Web Content Writer
- Production Director
- Online Content Developer
- Freelance Copywriter
- Creative Services Manager
- Creative Services Director
- Creative Director
- Copy Writer
- Review advertising trends, consumer surveys, and other data regarding marketing of goods and services to determine the best way to promote products.
- Invent names for products and write the slogans that appear on packaging, brochures and other promotional material.
- Conduct research and interviews to determine which of a product's selling features should be promoted.
- Write articles, bulletins, sales letters, speeches, and other related informative, marketing and promotional material.
- Develop advertising campaigns for a wide range of clients, working with an advertising agency's creative director and art director to determine the best way to present advertising information.
- Edit or rewrite existing copy as necessary, and submit copy for approval by supervisor.
- Consult with sales, media and marketing representatives to obtain information on product or service and discuss style and length of advertising copy.
- Vary language and tone of messages based on product and medium.
- Present drafts and ideas to clients.
- Write advertising copy for use by publication, broadcast, or internet media to promote the sale of goods and services.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $58,810 with most people making between $29,070 and $94,310
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 4,590 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 4,470 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 80 replacement openings for approximately 80 total annual openings.