Plan, coordinate, or edit content of material for publication. May review proposals and drafts for possible publication. Includes technical editors.
- Web Editor
- Telegraph Editor
- Technical Editor
- Story Reader
- Story Editor
- Sports Editor
- Society Editor
- Slot Editor
- Script Reader
- Script Editor
- Read material to determine index items and arrange them alphabetically or topically, indicating page or chapter location.
- Interview and hire writers and reporters or negotiate contracts, royalties, and payments for authors or freelancers.
- Arrange for copyright permissions.
- Direct the policies and departments of newspapers, magazines and other publishing establishments.
- Make manuscript acceptance or revision recommendations to the publisher.
- Allocate print space for story text, photos, and illustrations according to space parameters and copy significance, using knowledge of layout principles.
- Select local, state, national, and international news items received from wire services, based on assessment of items' significance and interest value.
- Monitor news-gathering operations to ensure utilization of all news sources, such as press releases, telephone contacts, radio, television, wire services, and other reporters.
- Meet frequently with artists, typesetters, layout personnel, marketing directors, and production managers to discuss projects and resolve problems.
- Assign topics, events and stories to individual writers or reporters for coverage.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AEC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $60,870 with most people making between $31,080 and $96,740
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 3,790 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 3,510 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 140 replacement openings for approximately 140 total annual openings.