Collect and analyze facts about newsworthy events by interview, investigation, or observation. Report and write stories for newspaper, news magazine, radio, or television.
- Participate in community events, make public appearances, or conduct community service.
- Write reviews of literary, musical, or other artwork, based on knowledge, judgment, or experience.
- Edit or assist in editing videos for broadcast.
- Write columns, editorials, commentaries, or reviews that interpret events or offer opinions.
- Assign stories to other reporters or duties to production staff.
- Write online blog entries that address news developments or offer additional information, opinions, or commentary on news events.
- Communicate with readers, viewers, advertisers, or the general public via mail, email, or telephone.
- Develop ideas or material for columns or commentaries by analyzing and interpreting news, current issues, or personal experiences.
- Conduct taped or filmed interviews or narratives.
- Present live or recorded commentary via broadcast media.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AEI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Recognition and Independence in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Geography - Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $40,570 with most people making between $23,390 and $67,720
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,560 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,370 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 50 replacement openings for approximately 50 total annual openings.