Analyze, interpret, and broadcast news received from various sources.
- Weekend Anchor
- Volleyball Commentator
- Television News Anchor (TV News Anchor)
- Sports Director
- Sports Analyst
- Soccer Commentator
- Radio Talk Show Host
- Radio News Anchor
- Radio Commentator
- Present news stories, and introduce in-depth videotaped segments or live transmissions from on-the-scene reporters.
- Select material most pertinent to presentation, and organize this material into appropriate formats.
- Gather information and develop perspectives about news subjects through research, interviews, observation, and experience.
- Analyze and interpret news and information received from various sources to broadcast the information.
- Examine news items of local, national, and international significance to determine topics to address, or obtain assignments from editorial staff members.
- Edit news material to ensure that it fits within available time or space.
- Coordinate and serve as an anchor on news broadcast programs.
- Write commentaries, columns, or scripts, using computers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ASE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Social and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $59,060 with most people making between $40,380 and $79,620
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 130 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 120 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 0 replacement openings for approximately 0 total annual openings.
- Public Relations and Fundraising Managers
- Training and Development Managers
- Training and Development Specialists
- Arbitrators, Mediators, and Conciliators
- Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Art, Drama, and Music Teachers, Postsecondary
- Communications Teachers, Postsecondary
- Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
- Special Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Instructional Coordinators