Speak or read from scripted materials, such as news reports or commercial messages, on radio or television. May announce artist or title of performance, identify station, or interview guests.
- Describe or demonstrate products that viewers may purchase through specific shows or in stores.
- Moderate panels or discussion shows on topics such as current affairs, art, or education.
- Coordinate games, contests, or other on-air competitions, performing such duties as asking questions and awarding prizes.
- Give network cues permitting selected stations to receive programs.
- Keep daily program logs to provide information on all elements aired during broadcast, such as musical selections and station promotions.
- Locate guests to appear on talk or interview shows.
- Maintain organization of the music library.
- Write and edit video and scripts for broadcasts.
- Attend press conferences to gather information for broadcast.
- Host civic, charitable, or promotional events that are broadcast over television or radio.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AES.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Recognition and Independence in their jobs.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was n/a
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,760 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,510 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 50 replacement openings for approximately 50 total annual openings.
- Marketing Managers
- Training and Development Managers
- Agents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
- Human Resources Specialists
- Training and Development Specialists
- Adult Basic and Secondary Education and Literacy Teachers and Instructors
- Talent Directors
- Public Relations Specialists
- Advertising Sales Agents