Play one or more musical instruments in recital, in accompaniment, or as members of an orchestra, band, or other musical group.
- Compose original music, such as popular songs, symphonies, or sonatas.
- Improvise music during performances.
- Arrange and edit music to fit style and purpose.
- Direct bands or orchestras.
- Transpose music to alternate keys, or to fit individual styles or purposes.
- Promote their own or their group's music by participating in media interviews and other activities.
- Make or participate in recordings in music studios.
- Audition for orchestras, bands, or other musical groups.
- Provide the musical background for live shows, such as ballets, operas, musical theatre, and cabarets.
- Teach music for specific instruments.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Recognition in their jobs.
- Fine Arts - Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose, produce, and perform works of music, dance, visual arts, drama, and sculpture.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Foreign Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of a foreign (non-English) language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar, and pronunciation.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average hourly wage in Pennsylvania was $33/hr with most people making between $9/hr and $74/hr
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 4,790 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 4,790 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 140 replacement openings for approximately 140 total annual openings.