Create new dance routines. Rehearse performance of routines. May direct and stage presentations.
- Dancing Master
- Dance Teacher
- Dance Master
- Dance Instructor
- Dance Director
- Choreography Director
- Artistic Director
- Manage dance schools, or assist in their management.
- Restage traditional dances and works in dance companies' repertoires, developing new interpretations.
- Record dance movements and their technical aspects, using a technical understanding of the patterns and formations of choreography.
- Design sets, lighting, costumes, and other artistic elements of productions, in collaboration with cast members.
- Seek influences from other art forms such as theatre, the visual arts, and architecture.
- Experiment with different types of dancers, steps, dances, and placements, testing ideas informally to get feedback from dancers.
- Assess students' dancing abilities to determine where improvement or change is needed.
- Teach students, dancers, and other performers about rhythm and interpretive movement.
- Train, exercise, and attend dance classes to maintain high levels of technical proficiency, physical ability, and physical fitness.
- Develop ideas for creating dances, keeping notes and sketches to record influences.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ASE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Social and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Fine Arts - Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose, produce, and perform works of music, dance, visual arts, drama, and sculpture.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $39,570 with most people making between $22,840 and $61,110
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 230 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 240 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about 9 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Recreation and Fitness Studies Teachers, Postsecondary
- Career/Technical Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Self-Enrichment Education Teachers
- Fashion Designers
- Interior Designers
- Directors- Stage, Motion Pictures, Television, and Radio
- Broadcast News Analysts
- Makeup Artists, Theatrical and Performance
- Fitness Trainers and Aerobics Instructors