Officiate at competitive athletic or sporting events. Detect infractions of rules and decide penalties according to established regulations. Includes all sporting officials, referees, and competition judges.
- Research and study players and teams in order to anticipate issues that might arise in future engagements.
- Verify credentials of participants in sporting events, and make other qualifying determinations such as starting order or handicap number.
- Compile scores and other athletic records.
- Teach and explain the rules and regulations governing a specific sport.
- Report to regulating organizations regarding sporting activities, complaints made, and actions taken or needed such as fines or other disciplinary actions.
- Verify scoring calculations before competition winners are announced.
- Direct participants to assigned areas such as starting blocks or penalty areas.
- Confer with other sporting officials, coaches, players, and facility managers in order to provide information, coordinate activities, and discuss problems.
- Resolve claims of rule infractions or complaints by participants and assess any necessary penalties, according to regulations.
- Start races and competitions.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: REC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Recognition in their jobs.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $25,770 with most people making between $16,700 and $39,330
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 390 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 410 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 2 openings due to growth and about 18 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
- Buyers and Purchasing Agents, Farm Products
- Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
- Appraisers, Real Estate
- First-Line Supervisors of Correctional Officers
- Gaming Surveillance Officers and Gaming Investigators
- First-Line Supervisors of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Aquacultural Workers
- Agricultural Inspectors
- First-Line Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers, and Material Movers, Hand