Audition and interview performers to select most appropriate talent for parts in stage, television, radio, or motion picture productions.
- Talent Associate
- Talent Agent
- Production Director
- Production Coordinator
- Photo Studio Assistant
- Pageant Director
- Extras Casting Director
- Entertainment Agent
- Contestant Coordinator
- Casting Director
- Locate performers or extras for crowd and background scenes, and stand-ins or photo doubles for actors, by direct contact or through agents.
- Arrange for or design screen tests or auditions for prospective performers.
- Hire and supervise workers who help locate people with specified attributes and talents.
- Contact agents and actors to provide notification of audition and performance opportunities and to set up audition times.
- Negotiate contract agreements with performers, with agents, or between performers and agents or production companies.
- Attend or view productions to maintain knowledge of available actors.
- Serve as liaisons between directors, actors, and agents.
- Prepare actors for auditions by providing scripts and information about roles and casting requirements.
- Maintain talent files that include information such as performers' specialties, past performances, and availability.
- Audition and interview performers to match their attributes to specific roles or to increase the pool of available acting talent.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Fine Arts - Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose, produce, and perform works of music, dance, visual arts, drama, and sculpture.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $82,720 with most people making between $32,060 and $175,440
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 3,400 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 3,610 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 21 openings due to growth and about 109 replacement openings for approximately 130 total annual openings.
- Advertising and Promotions Managers
- Human Resources Managers
- Training and Development Managers
- Human Resources Specialists
- Adult Basic and Secondary Education and Literacy Teachers and Instructors
- Directors- Stage, Motion Pictures, Television, and Radio
- Radio and Television Announcers
- Copy Writers
- Advertising Sales Agents