Design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
- Grow flowers for use in arrangements or for sale in shop.
- Conduct classes or demonstrations, or train other workers.
- Decorate or supervise the decoration of buildings, halls, churches, or other facilities for parties, weddings and other occasions.
- Perform general cleaning duties in the store to ensure the shop is clean and tidy.
- Inform customers about the care, maintenance, and handling of various flowers and foliage, indoor plants, and other items.
- Create and change in-store and window displays, designs, and looks to enhance a shop's image.
- Unpack stock as it comes into the shop.
- Perform office and retail service duties such as keeping financial records, serving customers, answering telephones, selling giftware items and receiving payment.
- Wrap and price completed arrangements.
- Trim material and arrange bouquets, wreaths, terrariums, and other items using trimmers, shapers, wire, pins, floral tape, foam, and other materials.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AER.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $25,830 with most people making between $17,840 and $36,930
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,620 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 2,380 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 60 replacement openings for approximately 60 total annual openings.