Design clothing and accessories. Create original designs or adapt fashion trends.
- Research the styles and periods of clothing needed for film or theatrical productions.
- Sew together sections of material to form mockups or samples of garments or articles, using sewing equipment.
- Test fabrics or oversee testing so that garment care labels can be created.
- Read scripts and consult directors and other production staff to develop design concepts and plan productions.
- Develop a group of products or accessories, and market them through venues such as boutiques or mail-order catalogs.
- Draw patterns for articles designed, cut patterns, and cut material according to patterns, using measuring instruments and scissors.
- Determine prices for styles.
- Design custom clothing and accessories for individuals, retailers, or theatrical, television, or film productions.
- Collaborate with other designers to coordinate special products and designs.
- Visit textile showrooms to keep up-to-date on the latest fabrics.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Independence in their jobs.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $55,670 with most people making between $34,350 and $86,760
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 260 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 240 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 10 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.