Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, computers, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, music videos, and commercials.
- Web Graphic Designer
- Web Designer
- Visual Effects Artist
- Virtual Reality Specialist
- Video Game Animator
- Texture Artist
- Studio Designer
- Streaming Media Specialist
- Storyboard Artist
- Convert real objects to animated objects through modeling, using techniques such as optical scanning.
- Create and install special effects as required by the script, mixing chemicals and fabricating needed parts from wood, metal, plaster, and clay.
- Use models to simulate the behavior of animated objects in the finished sequence.
- Create pen-and-paper images to be scanned, edited, colored, textured, or animated by computer.
- Assemble, typeset, scan and produce digital camera-ready art or film negatives and printer's proofs.
- Implement and maintain configuration control systems.
- Script, plan, and create animated narrative sequences under tight deadlines, using computer software and hand drawing techniques.
- Develop briefings, brochures, multimedia presentations, web pages, promotional products, technical illustrations, and computer artwork for use in products, technical manuals, literature, newsletters, and slide shows.
- Create basic designs, drawings, and illustrations for product labels, cartons, direct mail, or television.
- Participate in design and production of multimedia campaigns, handling budgeting and scheduling, and assisting with such responsibilities as production coordination, background design, and progress tracking.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Fine Arts - Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose, produce, and perform works of music, dance, visual arts, drama, and sculpture.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $61,520 with most people making between $31,420 and $109,640
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,100 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,120 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 2 openings due to growth and about 18 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.