Teach or instruct courses other than those that normally lead to an occupational objective or degree. Courses may include self-improvement, nonvocational, and nonacademic subjects. Teaching may or may not take place in a traditional educational institution.
- Attend staff meetings and serve on committees, as required.
- Write instructional articles on designated subjects.
- Observe and evaluate the performance of other instructors.
- Meet with other instructors to discuss individual students and their progress.
- Use computers, audio-visual aids, and other equipment and materials to supplement presentations.
- Plan and supervise class projects, field trips, visits by guest speakers, contests, or other experiential activities, and guide students in learning from those activities.
- Confer with other teachers and professionals to plan and schedule lessons promoting learning and development.
- Participate in publicity planning and student recruitment.
- Select, order, and issue books, materials, and supplies for courses or projects.
- Prepare and implement remedial programs for students requiring extra help.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SAE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Artistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $36,460 with most people making between $17,660 and $61,840
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 13,490 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 15,240 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 175 openings due to growth and about 255 replacement openings for approximately 430 total annual openings.
- Training and Development Specialists
- Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselors
- Vocational Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education
- Career/Technical Education Teachers, Middle School
- Career/Technical Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Adult Basic and Secondary Education and Literacy Teachers and Instructors
- Public Address System and Other Announcers
- Public Relations Specialists
- Skincare Specialists