Provide individualized physical education instruction or services to children, youth, or adults with exceptional physical needs due to gross motor developmental delays or other impairments.
- Student Education Specialist
- Physical Education Teacher
- Physical Education Specialist
- Movement Education Specialist
- Education Specialist
- Certified Adaptive Physical Educator
- Certified Adapted Physical Educator
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Education Specialist
- Autism Resource and Education Specialist
- Autism Motor Specialist
- Maintain inventory of instructional equipment, materials, or aids.
- Request or order physical education equipment, following standard procedures.
- Review adapted physical education programs or practices to ensure compliance with government or other regulations.
- Attend in-service training, workshops, or meetings to keep abreast of current practices or trends in adapted physical education.
- Advise education professionals of students' physical abilities or disabilities and the accommodations required to enhance their school performance.
- Write reports to summarize student performance, social growth, or physical development.
- Communicate behavioral observations and student progress reports to students, parents, teachers, or administrators.
- Evaluate the motor needs of individual students to determine their need for adapted physical education services.
- Write or modify individualized education plans (IEPs) for students with intellectual or physical disabilities.
- Provide individual or small groups of students with adapted physical education instruction that meets desired physical needs or goals.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $64,160 with most people making between $35,280 and $97,660
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 240 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 250 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about 9 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation