Teach elementary school subjects to educationally and physically handicapped students. Includes teachers who specialize and work with audibly and visually handicapped students and those who teach basic academic and life processes skills to the mentally impaired.
- Teacher Specialist
- Special Needs Teacher
- Special Education Teacher of Multi-Handicapped Students
- Special Education Teacher
- Special Education Resource Teacher
- Special Education Kindergarten Teacher
- Special Education Inclusion Teacher
- Special Education Administrator
- Sign Language Teacher
- Severe/Profound Mental Handicaps Special Education Teacher
- Interpret or transcribe classroom materials into Braille or sign language.
- Visit schools to tutor students with sensory impairments or to consult with teachers regarding students' special needs.
- Instruct students in daily living skills required for independent maintenance and self-sufficiency, such as hygiene, safety, or food preparation.
- Perform administrative duties, such as assisting in school libraries, hall or cafeteria monitoring, or bus loading or unloading.
- Plan or supervise experiential learning activities, such as class projects, field trips, demonstrations, or visits by guest speakers.
- Control the inventory or distribution of classroom equipment, materials, or supplies.
- Organize and supervise games or other recreational activities to promote physical, mental, or social development.
- Attend professional meetings, educational conferences, or teacher training workshops to maintain or improve professional competence.
- Administer standardized ability and achievement tests to kindergarten or elementary students with special needs.
- Instruct and monitor students in the use and care of equipment or materials to prevent injuries and damage.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Support in their jobs.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $64,280 with most people making between $41,530 and $94,400
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 9,990 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 10,060 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 7 openings due to growth and about 193 replacement openings for approximately 200 total annual openings.