Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Yoga Instructor
- Wellness Instructor
- Water Aerobics Instructor
- Tai Chi Instructor
- Swimming Teacher
- Swimming Professor
- Swimming Instructor
- Swim Instructor
- Sports, Nutrition, and Fitness Management Director
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Prepare students to act as sports coaches.
- Perform administrative duties, such as serving as department heads.
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
- Supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: E.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $60,200 with most people making between $31,760 and $103,240
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,030 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,100 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 7 openings due to growth and about 23 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare Center/Program
- Art, Drama, and Music Teachers, Postsecondary
- Communications Teachers, Postsecondary
- Philosophy and Religion Teachers, Postsecondary
- Home Economics Teachers, Postsecondary
- Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education
- Middle School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
- Special Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Instructional Coordinators
- Low Vision Therapists, Orientation and Mobility Specialists, and Vision Rehabilitation Therapists