Teach courses in human history and historiography. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- World History Teacher
- South Asian History Professor
- Social Sciences Professor
- Social Sciences Instructor
- Social Science Instructor
- Russian History Professor
- Professor of History
- Political Science Professor
- Provide professional consulting services to government, educational institutions, or industry.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
- Teach community courses and speak to local groups and organizations.
- Perform administrative duties, such as serving as department head.
- Develop, maintain, and teach online courses.
- Supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Review books and journal articles for potential publication.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SIA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- History and Archeology - Knowledge of historical events and their causes, indicators, and effects on civilizations and cultures.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Geography - Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- Philosophy and Theology - Knowledge of different philosophical systems and religions. This includes their basic principles, values, ethics, ways of thinking, customs, practices, and their impact on human culture.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $87,400 with most people making between $45,200 and $132,600
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,540 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,650 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 11 openings due to growth and about 29 replacement openings for approximately 40 total annual openings.
- Computer Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Psychology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Sociology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Health Specialties Teachers, Postsecondary
- Library Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Teachers, Postsecondary
- Law Teachers, Postsecondary
- Communications Teachers, Postsecondary
- English Language and Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
- Foreign Language and Literature Teachers, Postsecondary