Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Writing Center Director
- Victorian Literature Professor
- Theatre Program Director
- Speech Instructor
- Seventeenth-Century English Literature Professor
- Reading Professor
- Professor of English
- Medieval English Literature Professor
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Teach classes using online technology.
- Conduct staff performance evaluations.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Perform administrative duties, such as serving as department head.
- Provide assistance to students in college writing centers.
- Recruit, train, and supervise department personnel, such as faculty and student writing instructors.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SAE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Artistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Philosophy and Theology - Knowledge of different philosophical systems and religions. This includes their basic principles, values, ethics, ways of thinking, customs, practices, and their impact on human culture.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $68,780 with most people making between $33,230 and $115,860
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 4,600 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 4,900 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 30 openings due to growth and about 80 replacement openings for approximately 110 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Area, Ethnic, and Cultural Studies Teachers, Postsecondary
- Psychology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Sociology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Social Work Teachers, Postsecondary
- Foreign Language and Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
- History Teachers, Postsecondary
- Philosophy and Religion Teachers, Postsecondary
- Home Economics Teachers, Postsecondary