Teach courses in drama, music, and the arts including fine and applied art, such as painting and sculpture, or design and crafts. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Woodwinds Teacher
- Voice Teacher
- Voice Studies Director
- Voice Professor
- Vocal Teacher
- Vocal Music Instructor
- Violin Teacher
- Three-Dimensional Art Instructor
- Theatre Professor
- Theatre Instructor
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
- Supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
- Perform administrative duties, such as serving as department head.
- Organize performance groups and direct their rehearsals.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Fine Arts - Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose, produce, and perform works of music, dance, visual arts, drama, and sculpture.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- History and Archeology - Knowledge of historical events and their causes, indicators, and effects on civilizations and cultures.
- Philosophy and Theology - Knowledge of different philosophical systems and religions. This includes their basic principles, values, ethics, ways of thinking, customs, practices, and their impact on human culture.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $72,950 with most people making between $34,100 and $121,630
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 5,250 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 5,720 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 47 openings due to growth and about 93 replacement openings for approximately 140 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Training and Development Specialists
- Architecture Teachers, Postsecondary
- Biological Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Home Economics Teachers, Postsecondary
- Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
- Career/Technical Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Special Education Teachers, Middle School
- Instructional Coordinators
- Broadcast News Analysts